Calla lilies also known as arum lilies and one of the most easy and quick flowers to make using sugar gum paste.
These flowers originated from Africa, I grew up seeing calla lilies everywhere in Zimbabwe. In this tutorial, I will be showing you how to make the edible version of this beautiful sugar calla lily flower.
They can be made in yellow, pink, green, burgundy, red or black but when used on wedding cakes in white this symbolize purity.
Sugar calla lilies can be made in any size big or small to suit your cake decorating project. These sugar flowers can be used alone or with other sugar filler flowers.
How to make a wired sugar gumpaste calla lily tutorial.
I used a life sized cutter in this tutorial.
See list below of materials used click on each item for links of were to buy them.
Make the center of the calla lily (spandix) using yellow gumpaste
- Roll in between the palm of the hands and make a thin sausage.
- The length of the center is about 2/3 of the length of your desired lily cutter
- Moisten the 18g florist wire with water and insert into the flower centre.
- Brus the center with water and roll in yellow Semolina.
- Leave calla lily centre to dry overnight. As seen in video
To make the calla lily petal, using white gumpaste.
- Roll out the gumpaste very thin.
- Cut out one petal using the life size calla lily cutter.
- Place gum paste calla lily petal on a foam pad and thin the edges by drilling using ball tool.
To assembe the sugar gumpaste calla lily.
- Take the gum paste calla lily petal and wrap it around the wired gumpaste lily centre you made earlier.
- The base should be wrapper around tight, while the top tipped side of the calla lily petal is loose and open.
- Leave your sugar gumpaste calla lily to dry overnight hanging upside down as seen in video.
Final touches (optional)
- Dust the part where it petal meets the wire and the edges of the petals with some green petal dust.
- You can also wrap the wire with green florist tape to make it thicker and appear more realistic.
- Attach to cake using flower posy pics.
- Never insert wires directly into cake
Hope you have fun making this simple sugar calla lily flower…
Don’t forget to SUBSCRBE on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt3BFIRBIwTAOjrxg2z82vw
Like and Follow me on Facebook . https://www.facebook.com/cakesandsugarcraftsupplies/