Avoid cake transporting disasters with this simple and easy cake stacking method. Tired cakes can be a nightmare especially if you have different textures and weights in each cake tier. Effective cake support by the use of dowels will ensure that your cake arrives to its destination in one piece.
How to stack tiered cakes
Cake dowelling is one step a cake decorator should master, it is a must and its not optional. Cake dowels are used to hold the weight of the cakes above and provide cake support. If cakes are not properly supported with dowels when tiered it can collapse or smash the cake layers below.
- Make sure that you bottom tier cake is sitting on a firm cake drum or board that does not bend. This will provide a good based for you cake dowels.
- Always wash your dowels before use, this is why I prefer using these plastic red poly carbon cake dowels as the wooden ones can absorb moisture.
- Measure your dowels to the same height, make sure they are the same height of the cake not too low or too tall.
- If dowels are cut too low the cake can smash or bulge when stacked.
- If cake dowels are too high then the can wobble when being transported.
- Always add a centre dowel to keep the cake centered and avoid sliding during transporting.
Hope these few tips help.
Don’t forget to purchase your dowels here